Assoc. Prof. Michael Reid
Acting Head of Department 2013
Associate Professor of Physics
606, Physics and Astronomy
Phone: +64 3 364-2548
Internal Phone: 6548
Department of Physics and Astronomy
University of Canterbury,
Private Bag 4800,
BackgroundAfter obtaining a PhD in this Department, I spent 1982-1985 at the University of Virginia, Department of Chemistry, working with Fred Richardson's Lanthanide Spectroscopy group.
1985-1993 were spent at the Department of Physics of The University of Hong Kong, working on aspects of lanthanide and actinide spectroscopy, and pursuing some interests in the general area of optical processes.
I returned to Canterbury in April 1993 and continued to work primarily on Lanthanide Spectroscopy and applications of symmetry principles, and optical processes.
In 1999 I spent five months of study leave in the Chemistry Divison of Argonne National Laboratory and in 2000 three months at the Debye Institute of the University of Utrecht, in the Netherlands.
- Alex Salkeld: ‘Modelling of excited states of lanthanide phosphor materials..."
- Euan Orr : The Role of Category Theory in Generating Scientific Theories (Senior Supervisor) PhD
- Pauline Harris : Search for Temporal Coincidences Between Ultra-High Energy Neutrino Events and Gamma Ray Bursts (Associate Supervisor) PhD
- Mike Lee : Lie Algebra (Senior Supervisor) PhD
- Ben Leith : Investigation of black holes from a quantum perspective (Associate Supervisor) PhD
- Rene Reichel : Useful electronic, chemical and magnetic properties of atomic clusters for nanoscale devices (Assistance Supervisor) PhD
- Phillip Wahrlich : Cosmic Ray air sower detection with the RICE neutrino detector (Associate Supervisor) MSc
- Kate Monahan : Stratosphere-Troposphere Exchange in the Southern Hemisphere (Assistant Supervisor) PhD
- UC Research Profile
- Modelling optical properties of lanthanide and actinide ("rare earth") ions in crystals.
- General theory of optical processes.
- Applications of group theory, particularly to spectroscopy (RACAH project).
- Advisory Committee
- IT Committee
- Teaching Committee
- Academic Board
- Faculty Board
- IT Committee